Lutein is an important substance that is necessary to support eye health and improve vision. The compound affects the work of many tissues and systems. The substance increases metabolism, protects the central nervous system and cardiovascular system, increases cognitive functions.
The compound also protects the skin and eyes from oxidative stress and exposure to ultraviolet rays. The amount of lutein in foods is regularly reduced, which is associated with the deterioration of growing conditions and the lack of vegetables and greens in the diet. Therefore, obtaining lutein with a supplement is recommended for all people, regardless of age.
What is Lutein
Lutein is a pigment that belongs to the category of oxygen—containing carotenoids. It is a powerful antioxidant and has a complex effect on the body. Lutein is important for the body because it is not able to be synthesized independently, which means it must enter the body from foods or supplements. The benefits of lutein for the body are quite wide. The substance improves eye health, protects the cardiovascular system, prevents the appearance of blood clots. The substance also reduces the level of oxidative stress by suppressing the activity of free radicals. This reduces the risk of developing certain forms of cancer and other diseases.
Often, because of the benefits of lutein for the body, the substance is referred to as vitamins. By its structure, lutein is not a vitamin, but a pigment. It has a pronounced yellow color, thanks to which many fruits, plants and leaves are colored. A large concentration of the substance is in the eyes, because the substance has a great effect on vision.
- Reducing the level of oxidative stress in the eyes, restoring and improving vision;
- Reduces the risk of cataracts, retinal damage and other eye diseases;
- Accelerates metabolic processes;
- Strengthening the cardiovascular system;
- Improving cognitive functions;
- Reduction of inflammatory effects in the body;
- Improving the functioning of the central nervous system, reducing stress on nerve cells, improving the transmission of neurons;
- Prevention of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes mellitus;
- Reduces the risk of developing certain forms of cancer.
Also, vitamins with lutein for the eyes are often indicated for children and adolescents. This is especially true given the fact that from an early age children spend a long time looking at the screens of monitors and smartphones.
Also very useful for the body is the action of lutein to reduce the effect of ultraviolet rays. The substance protects not only the skin, but also the retina of the eyes, which potentially reduces the risks of eye diseases and damage.
- Any eye diseases;
- Frequent spending time at the computer or other screens;
- After 35 years, to reduce age-related eye changes;
- People with light irises (considered a risk factor);
- Those who work with bright light sources (for example, from welding);
- In winter, to protect the retina, especially in regions with a lot of snow;
- People who are often near the water (minimizes the harm of reflection of rays from the water surface).
The substance is often added to complex vitamins, but it is better to use lutein separately. This will allow you to get the full norm of the substance.
Lutein is considered completely safe and does not carry any health risks if the recommended dosages are followed. However, the substance should only be taken as prescribed by a doctor during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It is also recommended to consult a doctor when using the supplement by children and adolescents.
Lutein content in products (in mg per 100 g):
- Spinach – 12;
- Parsley – 5.5;
- Cabbage – 3;
- Green peas (fresh) – 2.5;
- Zucchini – 2;
- Pumpkin – 1.5;
Some animal products also contain lutein. In small quantities, the substance is found in egg yolks (about 1 mg), chicken, turkey, beef and pork.
The minimum effective daily allowance is 5 mg. The optimal dosage is 10 mg per day. This amount is sufficient to obtain all the effects of the substance. Supplements are absolutely safe if the recommended dosages are observed. Exceeding the norm above 20 mg is not recommended, a larger amount of the substance will not give any benefits, but may increase the possible harm of lutein. There are medications that contain 20-30 mg in a capsule. They are used in short courses and only as prescribed by the attending physician.
The supplement is usually taken in courses. The average cycle duration is 8 weeks. According to the prescription of the attending physician, the course can be extended up to 12-16 weeks, especially if the substance is used to treat eye problems.
Some manufacturers produce preparations with lutein for the eyes, which contain a preventive maintenance dosage. They are suitable for preventive use, but to obtain a pronounced effect, it is recommended to choose additives with a higher concentration of the substance. The same applies to the application for athletes.
- Lutein from California Gold Nutrition is one of the most popular supplements with the substance. It has an optimal ratio of price and dosages. A serving contains 20 mg. Packing for 120 capsules is the most cost-effective;
- Lutein from Lake Avenue Nutrition is another profitable and high—quality option. Contains 20 mg per serving. From a financial point of view, packing for 180 capsules is considered the most profitable. The average price of a serving is comparable to California Gold;
- Vision Optimizer from Jarrow Formulas is a powerful and effective supplement for comprehensive restoration of eye health and support of the body. It includes all vitamins, minerals and extracts that affect eye health and vision. The only drawback is the high price;
- Lutein from Jarrow Formulas is a good lutein at an average price. It contains 120 capsules, 20 mg of the substance in each. The supplement also contains zeaxanthin;
- Lutein from Solgar is an additive from a top global brand with great authority. Contains as much as 40 mg per capsule, ideal for therapeutic purposes and a rapid increase in the level of the substance in the body. The only drawback is the high cost;
- Blackcurrant + Lutein from Jarrow Formulas — a combination of black currant and lutein is good for the eyes. Contains New Zealand currant and lutein. The disadvantage of the additive is only 10 mg of the substance per serving and the average price.